- For the polenta: 3 cups (750ml) of water; 1 cup (250ml) TCC premium coconut milk; 1 cup (160g) of polenta; 2 tablespoons Valcom green curry paste; 1 tablespoon Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce; 1/2 cup (60g) grated parmesan; Salt and pepper
- For crumb coat: 1/4 cup (40g) flour; 2 large eggs, beaten; 1 cup (90g) Obento panko breadcrumbs; Pinch of black pepper
- To serve: Kewpie Mayonnaise Yuzu Flavour; Nori salt: 1/2 sheet Obento nori, Sea salt; Nori garnish: 1/2 sheet Obento nori
- For the polenta: Stir together the coconut milk, water, curry paste and polenta in a heavy bottomed saucepan and gently bring to the boil whisking frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cover cooking gently for ten minutes. Remove the lid and stir every few minutes with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- After ten minutes, reduce the heat to very low, cover and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the polenta is cooked. Polenta cooking time can differ, so check the instructions on the packet. The polenta is cooked when it is very thick and falls away from the side of the pan.
- When the polenta is cooked, stir in the parmesan, soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Pour polenta into a greased brownie tray and smooth over the surface with an offset spatula or spoon. Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge to fully set for at least one hour. These steps can be done the night before, allowing the polenta to set in the fridge overnight.
- Once fully chilled and set, turn out the set polenta, cut in half lengthwise and each half into 2cm sticks (you should end up with around 20 equally sized chips).
- For the crumb coat: To one shallow bowl add the flour. Put the beaten egg in a second shallow bowl. Place the breadcrumbs and ground pepper on a third plate and gently mix. Gently turn each polenta chip first in the flour, tapping off excess. Dip floured polenta chip into the egg, flipping to coat all sides. Finally add to the panko crumb and press to adhere. Set aside and repeat with remaining chips.
- To cook: How to make polenta chips in an air fryer: Preheat air fryer to 190°C. Lightly spray the polenta chips with cooking spray, then place chips in a single layer inside the air fryer basket. Air fry for 8-10 minutes per side until all chips are crisp and golden. Air fryer temperatures can vary depending on the make and model. Start out with less cooking time, checking for doneness, adding more time as needed.
- How to bake polenta chips in the oven: No air fryer? No worries! You can make oven-baked polenta chips instead. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place polenta chips in a single layer on a lightly greased baking tray. Lightly spray chips with cooking spray. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning over once halfway through. Bake until all chips are crisp and golden.
- To serve: For the nori salt: First toast a sheet of nori. Using tongs, wave the nori sheet over a gas flame for about 30 seconds until it becomes crisp. Finely chop or snip one half of the nori sheet, then place in a mortar with 2 tsp sea salt flakes. Finely crush to a powder with a pestle.
- For the nori garnish: Snip the remaining nori into thin strips using kitchen scissors. Serve chips with a sprinkling of nori salt, a scattering of nori garnish and a generous serve of yuzu mayonnaise.
Product used in recipe
- TCC - Premium Coconut Milk
- Valcom - Valcom Curry Paste Green
- Lee Kum Kee - Premium Soy Sauce
- Obento - Panko Breadcrumbs
- Obento - Yaki Nori For Sushi
- Kewpie - Kewpie Mayonnaise Yuzu Flavour