- Ingredients for Peanut Dressing:100g dark palm sugar, dissolved in ¼ cup water and simmered on stovetop for 5 minutes; 3 cloves garlic, minced; 1 long red chilli, sliced; 2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Vegetarian Stir-fry Sauce (perfect vegan substitute for dried prawns!); 1 tsp Valcom Kaffir Lime Leaves; 1 tbsp ABC Original Chilli Sauce; 1 tsp tamarind paste; 1 tbsp ABC Kecap Manis; 1 cup water; 150g oven roasted peanuts; 1 tsp white pepper; Salt, sugar to taste; Extra water, if needed; Juice 1 lime; 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Ingredients for Asinan Salad (serves 4):1 block firm tofu, pressed, cut into fingers, boiled in water and 2 tsp turmeric powder until fingers rise to surface (about 7-10 minutes), drained, then cut into cubes; 2 good handfuls Savoy cabbage, shredded, blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds, drained; 2 good handfuls bean sprouts, tailed, blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds, drained; 1 carrot, peeled, shredded; 4 stalks celery leaf, washed and chopped; 4 onion chives, finely chopped; 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced into half-moons1 handful pickled mustard leaf, rinsed well and chopped; leaves 1 oakleaf lettuce, rinsed and dried; 1 cup Peanut Dressing (see below); To serve, 8 Mie Crackers (2 per person)
- Method for Peanut Dressing:Heat oil in small frypan over medium-high heat. Stirfry garlic, chilli for 1 minute. Add Lee Kum Kee Vegetarian Stir-fry Sauce, stir a further minute. Add all other ingredients, except salt, sugar, extra water and lime juice. Bring to boil, lower heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, cool.When cool, blend until mostly smooth (you still want some chunks of peanut).Add more water if needed, to make dressing a thick but somewhat runny custard-like consistency. Add lime juice. Taste and add salt, sugar if needed. Serve warm over prepared salad.
- Method for Asinan Salad:Arrange lettuce leaves on plate.Mix all other vegetables together. Pile on top of lettuce.Tumble over turmeric tofu.Drizzle with Peanut Dressing Serve with Mie Crackers.
Brands and product used
- Valcom - Kaffir Lime Leaves