- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 brown shallot, roughly chopped (or small brown onion)
- 4cm knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 225g tin water chestnuts, drained & finely chopped
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 5 tbs Obento mirin seasoning
- 6 tbs soy sauce
- 8 tsp sesame oil
- 2 bunch bok choy, washed & cut into quarters lengthways
- 1⁄2 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1⁄4 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Sweet chilli sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C and roast sesame seeds on a baking tray for a few minutes until golden (check them as they can burn easily). Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the shallot, ginger, carrot, zest, salt and pepper a few times to mix. (Don't overmix).
- Combine with the chicken mince and water chestnuts in a bowl and mix together well.
- With oiled hands roll heaped tablespoon into balls. Heat a frypan with 2 tsp of oil and pan fry for a couple of minutes to brown before placing on baking tray and finishing in the oven on bake for 10-15 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile, combine Obento mirin, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small saucepan and simmer for a minute to thicken. Stir through lemon juice.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook bok choy for 1 minute, then drain.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top with meatballs and sauce, spring onion, coriander and toasted sesame seeds.
Brands and product used
- Obento - Mirin Seasoning