- 1 lady finger banana blossom – about 250g. (White center part of blossom only)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (peel off the spine center and cut thinly)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (coarsely torn for deep frying and garnishing)
- 10g. Thai basil leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 egg
- 55g. Valcom Authentic Thai red curry paste
- 45g. rice flour
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Dipping sauce:
- 150 ml. Mae Ploy Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 3 tbsp. crushed roasted peanuts
- ½ Lebanese cucumber (thinly sliced into small pieces)
- Red chilli and coriander for garnishing
- Cut banana blossom into 4 wedges and cut the core center of blossom off and throw it away. Thinly slice all 4 blossom wedges on the short side. Put all sliced blossoms in the bowl and cover with water and add lemon juice into the bowl and mix all together. The lemon juice will prevent the blossom turning brown. Keep the blossom soaked in the water for about 5 minutes then drain and keep it in the bowl.
- Crack one egg into the bowl of dried blossoms and mix the egg and blossoms until combined.
- Then add rice flour, red curry paste, brown sugar, thin sliced kaffir lime leaves and basil leaves into the bowl. Mix all ingredients gently until combined.
- For the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients together except red chilli and coriander. The last two ingredients are for garnishing before serving.
- Pour oil into the wok or deep-fryer until it is about two – thirds full and turn the gas/switch on. Heat the oil over the medium high heat flame until a cooking thermometer registers about 160-165 celsius.
- Fry 3 kaffir lime leaves for 1 minute and scoop them out and keep them in the bowl for garnishing. Then cook the cake by using a large spoon to scoop the banana blossom mixture into a wok/deep fryer. Don’t over crowd the deep-fryer otherwise the oil temperature will drop and the cake will be too oily and not crispy.
- Cook the mixture until golden brown and crispy.
- After cooking drain all cakes with paper towels to remove excess oil, put them on the plate and garnish with crispy kaffir lime leaves and serve with the dipping sauce that garnish with cut red chili and coriander leaf. Enjoy!
Brands and product used
- Valcom - Curry Paste Red