- 3 tablespoons SESAME SEEDS
- 2 tablespoons WHOLE SZECHUAN PEPPER
- 1 tablespoon ROCK SALT
- 100g PLAIN FLOUR
- 100g CORNFLOUR
- 2 tbsp VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 RED ONION, finely chopped
- 4cm knob of GINGER, finely sliced
- 3 CLOVES GARLIC, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of BLACK BEANS
- 2 tablespoons CHINESE COOKING WINE + extra
- 1 tablespoon LIGHT SOY SAUCE + extra
- 1 tablespoon OYSTER SAUCE + extra
- 1 tablespoon WHITE SUGAR + extra
- 1 tablespoon MALT VINEGAR + extra
- 1/2 teaspoon SESAME OIL + extra
- 2 LONG CHILLI, finely sliced
- 1/2 RED CAPSICUM, finely sliced
- 1 SMALL CARROT, finely sliced
- 2/3 cup WATER + extra
- 2 X 300g packets, SILKEN TOFU
- VEGETABLE OIL, for deep frying
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry wok/frying pan until fragrant. Remove, set aside. In dry wok/frying pan toast the whole szechuan pepper and salt for a few minutes until fragrant and easily crushed with the back of a spoon. Place in a mortar and pestle and crush until fine.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the crushed szechuan pepper mix to a large bowl and add flours and mix to combine. Set aside.
- To make Black Bean and Chilli Sauce prepare all the vegetable ingredients and liquids in separate bowls. In a wok/frying pan add vegetable oil. Add onion and stir fry for a minute. Add ginger and garlic until fragrant, add black beans stir fry for a few minutes. Keep moving around adding wine cooking for a further minute. Add chilli, capsicum, carrot and stir fry for a few minutes until softened. Add sesame oil and mix in. Pour in water and stir fry to bring together and sauce thickens. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Then do the liquid part of the sauce again. In the wok add 2 tablespoons of wine cook 30 seconds, add 1 tablespoon of soy, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon of white sugar, 1 tablespoon of malt vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1/3 cup of water. Mix and reduce a little to thicken sauce. Add to a jug.
- Pour a little of the extra sauce on each serving plate and use tongs to add some vegetable mix to the extra sauce and mix in a little. Save some vegetables to garnish.
- Remove tofu onto a plate and cut in half from top to bottom across. Then divide into 3 sections and cut across the 3 sections, halving. This will make 12 pieces per tofu packet. Place some paper towels on a plate and add squares separating them. Then pat dry on top of each with paper towels.
- Use enough oil in wok/deep frying pan to cover and deep fry tofu pieces. Make sure your oil is shimmering before preparing the tofu. Only coat tofu in flour just before you fry. Quickly, carefully dip 6 - 8 pieces into the flour mix. Coating. Put on a slotted spoon to lower into oil. Cook each batch until crispy around 3 minutes. Remove and repeat. Until all tofu is crispy. When removing each batch of crunchy tofu sprinkle with a little of the szechuan pepper mix that was left in mortar and pestle.
- Add cooked tofu to serving plates and add extra vegetables on top to garnish. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Brands and product used
- Lee Kum Kee - Soy Sauce Salt Reduced