- 1 cup pearl barley
- 140 g rice vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 cups finely sliced cabbage
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons crushed ginger
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, plus 1/2 tablespoon extra
- 2 tablespoons sushi seasoning
- 1 cup light olive oil or similar
- Boil barley in three cups water for thirty minutes. Drain.
- Soak vermicelli in hot water for fifteen minutes, cut into segments and drain.
- In wok, heat oil and add carrot, cabbage,, mushrooms, ginger and garlic. Place lid on until veggies have softened.
- Add sugar, sauces and spices. Mix cornflour with sushi seasoning and add. Allow to thicken. Add barley and vermicelli. Cool.
- Mix extra cornflour with a little water for spring roll glue.
- Heat oil in a frying pan while preparing spring rolls. Oil is ready when the handle of a wooden spoon bubbles when placed in it.
- Place two tablespoons of filling diagonally on a spring roll wrapper. Fold over three sides to form tight cylinder. Roll, using cornflour glue on fourth edge.
- Shallow fry a few at a time, turning once and ensuring oil temperature stays high.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet chili or other sauce.
Product used in recipe
- Squid Brand - Fish Sauce
- Obento - Sushi Seasoning