- 400g chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 tbs Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tbs black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tbs Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp kechap manis
- Combine chicken with soy sauce and garlic. Set aside.
- Place Sichuan peppercorns in a dry fry pan over high heat. Cook, shaking the pan, for 2 minutes or until the peppercorns are fragrant and just starting to smoke. Transfer to a mortar along with the black peppercorns. Grind to a fine powder.
- Mix 1 tbs of peppercorn powder with oyster sauce, Chinese rice wine and kechap Manis. Keep remaining powder for another use.
- Add about 1cm of oil to the base of a wok over high heat. Toss 1/2 the marinated chicken in 1/2 of the cornflour and cook in the oil for 3-4 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken and flour.
- If needed heat 1 tbs oil in the same wok. Add onion and capsicum. Stir fry for a minute. Add chicken and peppercorn sauce and stir fry until well combined.
Brands and product used
- Lee Kum Kee - Soy Sauce Gluten Free