- ~300g - beef rump cap
- 6 pcs - carrots
- 2 pcs - brown onions
- 1 cup - short grain rice
- 1 pc - pork loin (medallion)
- 2 pcs - eggs
- [optional] 1 tsp - miso paste
- 1 tbsp - beni shoga (sliced ginger)
- [optional] 1 tbsp - hiyashi chuuka wakame (chilled seaweed salad)
- 1/2 cup - all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups - panko bread crumb
- 1 pinch - shichimi tougarashi (seven flavour pepper)
- 500ml - water
- 200ml - cooking oil
- [optional] 3 pcs - dried chilli
- 1 box - S&B Golden Curry (Hot)
- [Curry Rice]Wash rice under running cold water at least 3 times until the water is almost clear.
- [Curry Rice]Steam cook rice using a rice cooker (recommended); or with a regular pot by boiling it uncovered without stirring until steam holes appear in rice and the grains absorbed the moisture.
- [Curry Rice]Trim beef rump cap's fat layer; dice the fat portion into ~1cm cubes; dice the meat portion into ~2cm cubes.
- [Curry Rice]Add the diced fat cubes into a pot, then turn the heat on medium. Cook for ~3-4 mins until the fat has melted and rendered.
- [Curry Rice]Cut off the top and bottom end of carrots and onions. Dice both carrots and onions into similar sized cubes ~2cm. Set aside.
- [Curry Rice]Add the rump meat portion into the pot, stirring occassionally until meat has been seared.
- [Curry Rice]Add diced carrots and onions. Sauté for 2-3 mins.
- [Curry Rice]Add water until it fills 3/4 of the ingredients in the pot. Bring to boil. Turn heat to low. Cover and simmer for 13 mins.
- [Tonkatsu]While curry is simmering, prepare the tonkatsu by tenderising the pork loin using a mallet or a rolling pin. Dry off the excess moisture using paper towels.
- [Tonkatsu]Heat up the cooking oil in a deep pan.
- [Ontama]While oil for deep frying tonkatsu is heating up, prepare the onsen tamago (ontama) by adding egg 1 pc into a pot. Add water until egg is submerged, turn heat on high.
- [Tonkatsu]Set up breading station by adding flour, beaten egg, panko crumbs into 3 separate containers.
- [Tonkatsu]Dust the pork loin in flour, shake off any excess. Dip the flour coated piece into the egg wash. Dredge the flour + egg coated piece into the panko crumb ensure all the surfaces are covered.
- [Tonkatsu]Once oil temperature reaches 180 degree Celsius, deep fry the pork loin for at least 4 mins or until golden and crispy. Drain on a drying rack.
- [Ontama]Switch off heat on the ontama pot once water starts to boil by looking if small bubbles starts to appear. Set timer for 6 mins. (Do not let it go to a rolling boil!).
- [Side Dishes]Add 1 tsp of miso paste into a small bowl. Add boiling water 250ml. Cover and set aside.Prepare the chuuka wakame on a small dish.
- [Curry Rice]By this time, the ingredients should be cooked thoroughly.Switch heat off, break and add 3 pcs of Golden Curry roux + crushed dried chilli into the pot. Stir until the roux has completely melted and then cover for 3 more mins.
- Serve rice, curry, tonkatsu along with the side dishes.
Product used in recipe
- S&B - Golden Curry Hot