- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- ½ jar Valcom Thai Green Curry Paste
- 400ml can TCC coconut milk
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 200g potato*
- 100g carrot*
- 200g pumpkin*
- 100g green beans, halved
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bunch Thai basil, roughly torn
- *Get the kids involved and use cookie cutters to create fun shapes with the veggies.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the packet. I used a combination of white and black rice, but you can use whichever kind of rice you prefer.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until onion softens. Add the curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk and stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the potato, carrot, pumpkin and green beans. Cook for 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through. The smaller your shapes, the less time the vegetables will take to cook.
- Stir through the soy sauce, brown sugar and Thai basil.
- Serve with cooked rice. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can shape your rice with your hands into fun animals like the elephant I’ve made here.
- Serve with salad leaves for a healthy touch, or some deliciously flaky roti.
- Note: I find it easier to mould the rice into shapes after adding a tablespoon of plain flour to the rice. White rice also works much better for moulding than black rice.
Brands and product used
- Valcom - Curry Paste Green
- TCC - Coconut Milk