- 125g brown rice
- 150g peas
- 1 spring onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 30g green curry paste
- 250g mushroom meat
- 227g bamboo shoots
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1. Cook rice and peas. Read through the recipe. Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters full with water and bring to the boil for the rice. Cook the rice in the pan of boiling water for 23 mins. Add the peas and cook for a further 2 mins or until the rice is tender. Drain.
- Prepare vegetables. Meanwhile, trim and thinly slice the spring onion, keeping the white and green separate. Peel the carrot, halve lengthwise and slice thinly on an angle. Peel and finely grate the ginger. Crush or finely chop the garlic. Pick the coriander leaves and coarsely chop half, including the stems.
- Cook aromatics. Heat the sesame oil in a medium deep fry pan over high heat. Stir-fry the white part of spring onion, ginger, garlic and curry paste for 30 secs or until fragrant.
- Cook mushroom meat. Add the mushroom meat to the curry paste mixture and stir-fry, breaking up the lumps with a spoon, for 5 mins or until browned.
- Cook vegetables. Add the carrot to the mushroom meat mixture and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened. Rinse and drain the bamboo shoots. Stir half the bamboo shoots into the mushroom meat mixture and cook, stirring, for a further 2 mins or until heated through.
- Finish cooking. Stir in the rice and peas, then cook, without stirring, for 2-3 mins to give a crisp base. Stir in 2 tsp soy sauce and the chopped coriander to combine. Taste, then season with salt and pepper. Divide the rice mixture among bowls and scatter with the remaining coriander and spring onion to serve.
Brands and product used
- Valcom - Bamboo Shoot Slices