- 400g chicken thigh
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cooking sake
- 1 glove garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece of ginger, grated
- Pinch of himalayan salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Truss cherry tomatoes
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Kewpie Japanese dressing roasted sesame
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 cup plain flour
- 4 cups of canola oil (for deep frying)
- Cook rice as per the pack instructions (approx 15 mins).
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into 3 cm cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, sake, garlic and ginger, salt & pepper.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and let sit for 5mins.
- While the chicken sits, finely slice the cabbage and cut tomatoes in half.
- Pour the oil into a deep pan or pot and turn on to medium heat.
- Meanwhile, place the flour in a bowl or plate.Coat each chicken piece thoroughly.Set aside a couple tiny balls of the flour.
- Test readiness (heat) of oil by placing the little flour ball in. Bubbles should immediately appear around it which indicates oil is at a good temp and ready to fry.
- Gently submerge each piece of chicken into the oil. Fry for 90 seconds or until the coating is a light golden colour.
- Remove chicken pieces onto a plate (lined with paper towel).Let oil heat up again, test readiness by placing another ball of flour into the pan (same as step 8)
- Submerge the chicken pieces again for a 2nd time. Deep fry for 45 seconds or until the coating is a nice golden colour.
- Remove chicken back onto a plate lined with paper towel (to absorb any excess oil).
- Dish up the chicken with rice, cabbage and tomatoes.
- Garnish with spring onions.Drizzle the Kewpie sesame dressing over the cabbage and tomatoes and squeeze some Kewpie mayonnaise over the chicken and rice.
Product used in recipe
- Kewpie - Kewpie Japanese Dressing Roast Sesame