- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (2 set)
- 500 g beef tripe, sliced into serving pieces
- 500 g beef shank, cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic (about 5 cloves), minced
- 6 cups water
- string or snake beans (about 6-8 pcs) cut into 3- inch pieces
- bokchoy (about 3 large heads), individually peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- eggplants, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp annatto powder
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (adjust to your liking)
- 1 tbsp LKK fine shrimp sauce
- 1 tsp Squid fish sauce
- Kare-kare (or beef stew) mix powder, optional
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- LKK chiu chow style chili oil
- shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- Vegetable blanching:Prep the vegetables (eggplants, string or snake beans, and bokchoy) by cleaning them in water and cutting them into the appropriate size. In a pot of boiling water, cook each of the vegetables by boiling them in hot water until slightly tender. Set aside.
- Braising:In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add the vegetable oil and sear the pieces of meat until each side has a nice brown crust. This should be about one minute on each side. Sear in batches to not crowd the pan.Set aside the meat on a plate. Add the chopped onions and saute for about one to two minutes or until slightly translucent. Then add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant. Add about two cups of water to the pot and deglaze the bottom. Add all the meat, the rest of the water, and salt into the pot and bring to a boil. Lower to medium low heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and braise for about 2 -2 1/2 hours or until the tripe and beef shank pieces are super tender.
- Kare-kare:In a pot over medium heat, add the vegetable oil and saute the chopped onions for about one minute or until slightly translucent. Then, add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.Add in the braising liquid (without the meat for now), annatto powder, kare-kare mix powder, fine shrimp sauce, fish sauce and crunchy peanut butter. Stir together until it’s all combined. Then add the braised meat and mix in the salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes on low to thicken. Taste the sauce to see if it needs adjusting. Add in the blanched vegetables and cook for an additional 2 minutes and stir.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Serve with steamed rice, fermented shrimp paste and chili oil on the side and enjoy.
Product used in recipe
- Lee Kum Kee - Fine Shrimp Sauce
- Lee Kum Kee - Chiu Chow Chilli Oil
- Squid Brand - Fish Sauce