- 400g can of jackfruit, drained and well rinsed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 red chilli, optional
- Rice paper sheets
- 50g Korean sweet potato starch noodles
- Japchae Noodles: 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Japchae Noodles: 1 tsp sesame oil
- Japchae Noodles: 1 tsp brown sugar
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 2 tbsp tonkatsu sauce
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 2 tbsp water
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 1 garlic clove
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 1 tbsp minced ginger
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 1 tbsp gochujang paste
- Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: 2 tbsp shallots, finely sliced
- Dipping Sauce: 1.5 tbsp sugar
- Dipping Sauce: 2 tbsp tonkatsu sauce
- Dipping Sauce: 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Dipping Sauce: Toasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl, combine spicy bulgolgi marinade ingredients. Add 2-3 tbsp brown sugar to taste (can be quite salty, especially with canned jackfruit).
- Shred the jackfruit and add to the marinade. Leave for 15-20 mins while preparing the other ingredients.
- Prepare vegetables – wash and slice (carrot, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, chilli).
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients and set sauce aside.
- Combine japchae noodle sauce ingredients. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain and rinse them with cool water. Combine with the noodle sauce.
- Heat a non-stick pan on low-medium heat. Add the oil for frying and spread the jackfruit evenly in the pan and leave for 3 mins, then flip over and leave for another 3 mins.
- Fill a plate with warm water and submerge the rice paper sheets one at a time.
- Place the japchae, carrot and cucumber inside the lettuce (to make rolling easier) and place toward the top end of a rice paper sheet.
- Place the jackfruit and avocado (and chilli if desired) below the lettuce bundle.
- Fold the left and right edges of the rice paper sheet inwards then roll from top to bottom firmly.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with the dipping sauce.
Product used in recipe
- Obento - Tonkatsu Sauce