- 1 eggplant
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 1 Tbs sake
- 4 Tbs mirin
- 1 Tbs caster sugar
- Sesame seeds
- 1.5 cup sushi rice
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbs castar sugar
- 3-4 norisheets
- Spring onions chopped
- Half a cucumber; sliced long ways
- Cut eggplant in half and score the surface diagonally. Preheat oven to 195 degree Celsius in a fan forced oven.
- Drizzle olive oil over eggplant and add salt and pepper to taste. Roast in oven for 20 mins.
- Wash sushi rice and cook as indicated on packet (generally 15-20 mins).
- Heat rice wine vinegar and 1.5 Tbs of castar sugar in a sauce pan for 2 mins and set aside to cool.
- In a separate saucepan, heat mirin, miso paste, sake and 1 tbs caster sugar until it forms the miso glaze.
- When eggplant has finished roasting, remove from oven and smear miso glaze over eggplant. Place eggplant back in the oven and broil for 5 mins.
- Pour sushi vinegar onto hot rice, fold in and let it cool.
- When sushi rice is cooled, it’s time to assemble! Cut miso eggplant into small pieces and cut cucumber into long strips. Roll eggplant/cucumber in piece of nori filled with sushi rice. Cut sushi rolls, and top with more eggplant pieces, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onions. Enjoy!
Product used in recipe
- Obento - Mirin Seasoning
- Obento - Cooking Sake