- Ingredients for Acar Nenas dan Ketimun (make first): ½ fresh pineapple, peeled, sliced into 5 cm matchsticks; 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced into 5 cm matchsticks; 1 carrot, peeled, sliced into 5 cm matchsticks; 2 shallots, halved, sliced; 1 clove garlic, peeled, sliced; ½ long red chilli, sliced thinly lengthwise into 1 cm lengths; 1 tsp salt; 2 tbsp white vinegar; 1 tbsp white sugar
- Ingredients for Spice Mixture (make second): 6 Asian shallots; 5 cloves garlic; 2 cm knob ginger, peeled and sliced; 2 cm knob galangal, peeled and sliced; 4 cm knob turmeric, peeled and sliced; ½ nutmeg, grated; 1 tsp salt; 1 tsp chicken-style stock powder; 1 tsp ground coriander; 1 tsp white pepper, ground; ½ tsp ground cardamom; enough water to blend
- Ingredients for Dry Spices: 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only, bruised; 2 kaffir lime leaves; 2 daun salam; 2 star anise; 1 stick cinnamon; 5 cloves
- Remaining Ingredients for Nasi Kebuli:1.5 kg chicken pieces (I use drumsticks and thighs, bone in and skin on, for extra flavour); 2 tbsp coconut oil; 1 x 400 ml can TCC Coconut Cream +2 cups water; 1 tbsp fried shallots; 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed thoroughly until water runs clear, then soaked at least 30 minutes; salt to taste
- Ingredients to complete Nasi Kebuli Ayam Bowl: Acar Nenas dan Ketimun; Oakleaf lettuce; Cucumber slices; Tomato slices; Red onion rings (or shallots); Chilli sauce; Emping (Melinjo Crackers)
- Method for Acar Nenas dan Ketimun (make first): In small jar, shake together salt, sugar and vinegar. Toss together all other ingredients in large bowl. Sprinkle over pickle dressing, toss gently through. Cover and leave in fridge for at least and hour and up to a day before using.
- Method for Spice Paste (make second): Blend all spices with enough water to create a smooth, slightly runny but still thick paste.
- Method for Nasi Kebuli (make last):
- Heat coconut oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add blended Spice Paste and Dry Spices. Stir until mixture darkens slightly, is fragrant, and the water has mostly evaporated.
- Add chicken pieces, coconut cream and water, and the fried shallots. Bring just to the boil, stirring so that the coconut cream does not split.
- Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately 40 minutes or until the chicken is very tender. Remove chicken pieces, set aside in fridge.
- Strain liquid, reserving solids in fridge. Cool liquid in fridge for approximately 1 hour until the oil has risen to the top. Skim off approximately 1 cup of oil and discard.
- Drain soaked rice.
- In a large saucepan, add 3 cups of the remaining liquid, reserved solids, and drained rice, stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook covered for approx 30 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork, leave to rest covered a further 10 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, grill the chicken pieces in lightly oiled grill pan until skin is crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
- When rice is ready, place 1 cup of rice in centre of bowl, arrange chicken, Acar, melinjo crisps, lettuce, cucumber and tomato slices attractively around rice. Serve with fresh chillies and chilli sauce.
Brands and product used
- TCC - Coconut Cream