- Obento sushi and sashimi soy sauce
- Recipe #1: Potato (Royal Blue is best), Smoked salmon, Avocado, sour cream
- Recipe #2: Bacon, Bread of your choice, Avocado
- Recipe #3: Dashi no moto, optional Obento Mirin seasoning
- All dishes, more soy to serve, Microgreens or chopped chives etc to garnish optional S&B La Yu Chilli oil
- Recipe #1: Use a mandolin to cut the potato into long thin julienne strips. Royal Blue potatoes are the variety locally here that work best for this dish. They are supposedly the best all round potato so I usually buy these as they are good for anything.
- Put the strips of potato in a non stick pan and mix them up so the strips are all tangled up over each other. This will make the Rosti hold together without adding anything else.
- Pour olive oil liberally over the potato and cook on medium. It takes roughly 6-8 minutes per side with the first side taking longer.. You will know one side is done if the potato sticks together in one layer. Once it is easy to lift without breaking, flip to cook the other side pushing any bits that stick out under to create a nice circle.
- Poach your egg(s). I use about 500 ml of water in the smallest pot I have. Add one tablespoon soy sauce. This seems to hold the eggs together better but also gives a nice taste. You want the water just simmering. Crack an egg in a small bowl and poach for two minutes for nice and runny. It will really depend on your stove top and preference so a bit of experimentation is required to get them to your satisfaction.
- Remove and drain with slotted spoon. Once the Rosti is cooked, remove from pan letting the oil drip away and plate. Add some smoked salmon, slices of avocado (looks better than smashed) and top with the egg and a dollop of sour cream. Drizzle some soy on top of the egg. Garnish with a few micro greens (mustard micros go really well with egg) and serve with a little soy and or La Yu's chilli oil on the side.
- Recipe #2: Poach the egg(s) as per above. Cook some bacon and toast how you like it. Serve with some avocado, micro greens, chopped fresh chilli and or La Yu's chilli oil and more soy sauce.
- Recipe #3: Poach the egg as per above. Decant the amount of poaching fluid you want into a bowl (if you use a ladle to remove, you can avoid any little bits of egg left floating. Add some Dashi no moto (instant Dashi stock) to the poaching liquid. For the amount shown in the picture you only need maximum 1/2 teaspoon but just add a little and taste. You can add a little Obento Mirin seasoning to give it yet more depth of flavour. Garnish again with micro greens or chopped spring onion or chives. Sublime.
- Tip: You can buy Dashi no Moto in any Asian supermarket. Where I live I have not seen it in the major supermarkets. You can make your own Dashi stock with Bonito flakes and Kobu but it costs more and takes longer..but it does taste better if you really want authentic taste.
Product used in recipe
- Obento - Sushi & Sashimi Soy Sauce
- S&B - La Yu Chilli Oil