- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely sliced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp black mustard seed
- 6 dried curry leaves
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp bonito flakes
- 1 tin coconut milk (165mL)
- dried chilli flakes (to taste)
- rice or roti to serve
- boiled egg (to taste)
- soak split peas in 1 cup of boiling water. if serving with rice, place in rice cooker and cook per instruction.
- If serving with egg, place egg in a bamboo steamer basket over remaining 2 cups of boiling water and cook for 8 mins. top up boiling water to 2 cups if reduced.
- heat butter and oil over high heat in a deep heavy bottomed saucepan
- once butter is melted, add shallots, garlic, ginger, mustard seed and cumin.
- as mustard seeds start to pop and garlic starts to colour, add curry leaves and tumeric. stir for 1 min
- drain split peas, add to spice mix and stir to coat in spice and oil.
- pour in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water and stir well. cover with a lid.
- after 7 mins reduce heat to med-low and pour in remaining water. Stir well to release any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. mix in bonito and chilli flakes (to taste). replace lid.
- after a further 5mins of cooking, add coconut milk and stir. check to see split peas are done, replace lid if it requires a little longer. they should be a little firm.
Brands and product used
- TCC - Coconut Milk