- 1 kg. large prawns
- 2 large red shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 lemongrass (thinly sliced on the white part only)
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves (coarsely torn)
- 2 tbsp. roughly chopped fresh galangal
- 12 button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 36 wonton skins
- 6 cups of water (for tom yum stock)
- 2 liters of water (for cook prawn wonton)
- Chili powder (optional)
- Lettuce, chili, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, lime, coriander and spring onion for garnishing
- 4 tbsp. Valcom Authentic Thai Tom Yum Soup Paste
- 6 tbsp. lime juice
- 4 tbsp. chili jam (Chili Paste with Soya Bean Oil)
- 250ml. evaporate milk
- Separate 12 large prawns, peel them but keep the tails attached. Put all peel shells and heads into a large bowl. Then devein all 12 prawns and put into another small bowl and keep them in the fridge.
- Peel and take all the tails off from the remaining prawns and put all shells and heads in the same bowl as the first lot. Then devein all prawns and put them in the bowl.
- Transfer all clean prawns from step two into a mortar then pound it with pestle into a rough paste. Scoop the prawn paste into the bowl and keep them in the fridge.
- Making the tom yum stock - bring 6 cups of water to the boil and add all prawn shells and heads then add red shallots, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal. Let the water boil and simmer gently for about 10-12 minutes.
- Then pour all prawn stock into a colander with another pot under them. Use a big soup ladle to press all prawn shells and heads until all liquid gets into the pot.
- Put the prawn tom yum stock back to the gas top and turn the gas on high heat.
- Add all seasoning ingredients into the stock pot and mix all ingredients until combined and adjust the flavor to suit your liking. Let the stock boil and turn the gas off.
- Wonton wrapping: separate the wonton skin and put the prawn paste about 1 full teaspoon into one wonton skin each time. Then moisten the rim of wonton skin with a little bit of water and fold the skin in half to join and close the rim together. You can make any shape and design you like. Put the complete wonton filling on the plate and continue doing until the filling is finished.
- Serving time, turn the gas on for tom yum stock pot and keep it simmering while waiting to cook wonton. Then put 2 liters of water into another large pot and put on the gas and let it boil.
- Cook all prawns with the tails on in the boiling water for about 40-60 seconds then take all prawns out and put them on the plate.
- Let water boil again then cook wonton by putting one wonton at a time to prevent them sticking together. Cook 6-8 wontons each time wait until wonton floats to the surface then scoop them into the individual bowl (6 wontons per serve – total 6 serving for this recipe). Repeat the wonton cooking process until the wonton wrap is finished.
- Increase the gas heat on tom yum soup pot and let it boil then add all mushrooms into the pot. Pour hot tom yum soup and cooked mushrooms into individual bowls and top up with 2 cooked prawns per bowl and garnish before serving.
- Add chili powder as desired and enjoy prawn wonton tom yum soup.
Brands and product used
- Valcom - Tom Yum Paste