- 10 whole prawns
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Oil (to deep-fry)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (bruised)
- 1 chilli (chopped, plus extra for garnish)
- Squid Brand Fish Sauce (to season)
- 1 tbsp tamarind puree (or more, to taste)
- Sugar (to season)
- Micro herbs (to garnish)
- Peel prawns, reserving heads and shells. Devein the prawns by slicing along the back and removing the trail. Set prawn cutlets and 6 heads aside in the fridge until needed.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add reserved prawn shells and heads, chilli and lemongrass. Sauté for 2 mins. Add in 2 cups water and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1 hr. Top up with extra water if needed. Season with fish sauce, tamarind puree and sugar.
- While prawn broth is simmering, add remaining prawn heads and cornflour into a ziplock bag. Shake until prawn heads are well coated. Heat oil in a separate saucepan to 180C. Deep fry the prawn heads for 2 mins or until slightly golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Once broth has nearly finished simmering, poach prepared prawn cutlets in broth for 1 min or until pink and cooked through. Remove from broth.
- To serve, arrange poached prawns and crispy prawns heads in a bowl. Garnish with chilli and micro herbs. Serve with prawn broth.
Brands and product used
- Squid Brand - Fish Sauce