- Ingredients for Risoles Pancakes:1 cup plain gluten free flour; ¼ cup tapioca flour; 1 flax egg; good pinch salt; ½ tsp white pepper; 1 x 400ml can TCC premium coconut milk; 2 tbsp vegetable oil; 100 ml water, as needed
- Ingredients for Risoles Filling:3 medium potatoes, scrubbed, cut into ½ cm cubes; 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into ½ cm cubes; 3 stalks celery, finely chopped, leaves reserved and chopped; I brown onion, finely chopped; 2 cloves garlic, minced; 1 spring onion, green and white parts, finely sliced; 1 tsp chicken-style stock powder; ½ tsp ground nutmeg; 1 tsp white pepper; salt, to taste; water; ½ tbsp tapioca flour, mixed with 2 tbsp water; cooking oil spray
- Ingredients for Risoles Batter, Coating and Cooking: ¼ cup tapioca flour; water, to form a thick runny custard consistency; crushed corn flakes; vegetable oil, for frying
- Method for Risoles Pancakes:
- Sift together flours, salt and pepper. Make a well, add flax egg, coconut milk and oil. Whisk until combined. Add water if needed to make a thick runny custard consistency (these pancakes should be like crêpes).
- Heat non-stick frypan. Add a soup ladle of batter and swirl around so that the base of the frypan is thinly covered. Cook until light golden, flip and cook other side until also light golden. Set aside and repeat till all the batter has been used up.
- Method for Risoles Filling:
- Spray non-stick pan with cooking oil. Heat pan over medium heat. Add brown onion and garlic, stir until softened.
- Add carrots, potatoes, celery stalks only, salt and pepper, stir until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add stock powder and enough water (approx ½-1 cup) to make a thick stew-like consistency. Bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then cover and simmer a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is soft but vegetables still hold together and liquid has been absorbed. Add more water if vegetables are not soft and continue cooking.
- Stir in tapioca mix and chopped celery leaves, cook 1 minute, adjust seasoning, set aside to cool.
- Method for Risoles Batter, Coating and Cooking:
- Whisk together flour and water in bowl. Place cornflakes in another bowl.Lay a cooked pancake on a plate.
- Place a tablespoon of filling along bottom of pancake, about 2 cm in from bottom edge (edge nearest to you). Fold in both sides of pancake, then roll up pancake firmly and neatly, starting from bottom (edge nearest to you). Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining pancakes and filling.
- Dip each rolled pancake in batter, then cover in crushed corn flakes. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
- Heat approx 1 cm oil in frypan. Shallow fry Risoles, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with green chillies and red chilli sauce.
Brands and product used
- TCC - Coconut Milk