- 2 x 120g salmon, skin on
- Squid Fish sauce, 1/4 cup
- Chicken stock, 1 litre
- 2 stems lemon grass, white part, trimmed and bruised with a rolling pin
- 1 or 2 Kaffir lime leaves, crushed
- 2 stalks and roots of coriander
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 or 2 birds eye red chilies , finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely shaved palm sugar
- 1 small stem Vietnamese mint
- 200g shiitake and brown mushrooms
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 100g young,very small eggplants, cut in half
- 2 x 150g Obento Ramen Noodles, ready to cook
- 1 T fresh lime juice+ extra lime cheeks for garnish
- A handful of fresh herb leaves, mint, coriander and Vietnamese mint
- Crunchy fried shallots for garnish.
- Place salmon and eggplant in a bowl and toss with half the Squid Fish sauce.
- In a large saucepan add chicken stock, rest of the Squid brand fish sauce, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, coriander roots, shallots, chilies, palm sugar, Vietnamese mint, and 150g mushrooms. Bring to simmer for 10 minutes to get a good flavoured stock.
- Add vegetable oil to a frying pan when stock is cooked. Add the salmon portions skin side down. Sear then turn salmon to brown the bottom side of the fish. The fish will not be fully cooked.Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining mushrooms and small eggplants to the pan and gently sauté the vegetables until cooked (about 2 minutes). You may be able to cook them at the same time as the fish if your frying pan is big enough. Remove to plate.
- Remove the lemongrass stems, Kaffir lime leaves, coriander roots and Vietnamese mint stalk from the hot stock. Add the lime juice and taste. Balance the stock with more sugar, lime juice or a touch of fish sauce if necessary.
- Add the Obento ramen noodles to the stock and heat for a minute.
- To serve, share the noodles between two bowls. Place the salmon steaks on top and spoon over the hot stock and poached mushrooms. The fish will keep cooking in the hot stock. Add the sautéed mushrooms and eggplants and scatter with fresh herb leaves. Serve with a cheek of lime and crunchy fried shallots if you have them.
Brands and product used
- Squid Brand - Fish Sauce
- Obento - Ramen Noodles