- Salmon fillets, skin on. I always buy frozen as there is no way to get fresh where I live. One salmon fillet of about 150grams per serve.
- Two Tablespoons Obento Mirin Seasoning for the salmon sauce and one tablespoon for the agedashi stock.
- Two tablespoons Obento sushi and sashimi soy sauce for the salmon sauce and one tablespoon for the agedashi stock.
- 2 teaspoons Fresh grated ginger
- 30 grams butter
- Two teaspoons white sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Yeo's Pure Sesame seed oil
- For Agedashi: Silken Tofu, Corn or Potato flour (starch), optional Bonito Flakes.
- Dashi no moto (instand Dashi stock powder)
- Fresh chopped chilli
- Get your rice cooking. Pat the salmon skin dry and sprinkle a little salt. Start heating your deep fryer so it is up to temp about 5 minutes before you want to eat.
- Remove the Tofu from the pack, drain the excess water and place on some kitchen paper. Cut into large cubes whilst still on the paper. A small pack should divide into 6 or 8 large cubes. Put some kitchen paper on top and flip to drain as much moisture as you can. Prepare a small bowl with either potato starch, corn flour or a mix of both.
- Prepare the agedashi stock by mixing around 100ml water with 1/2 teaspoon Dashi no moto powder, and one tablespoon each soy and mirin. Heat when just ready to serve.
- About 10 minutes from when you want to eat, heat a pan with a little Yeo's sesame seed oil and olive oil. Fry the salmon, skin side down. You can watch it cook from the side. Once the colour has changed to about the middle of the fillet, flip them.
- About 5 minutes before you want to eat, gently roll the pieces of Tofu in the corn flour and/or potato mixture to coat evenly and immediately place in deep fryer. Cook to your level of doneness but about 3 minutes is enough. Drain and place in serving dish.
- Once fish cooked, remove from pan and plate on a serving dish. Start cooking your broccoli or preferred greens and some carrots or other vegetables. I cook them by putting about 1/2 cup water into a pot with the vegetables. Once boiling put the lid on and steam for 3 minutes. This is the fastest and most economical, healthiest way and retains most of the colour.
- In the same pan that you cooked the salmon, add the butter, sugar, grated ginger and mix around till the butter melted. Add the mirin, soy and lemon juice. The quantities shown here makes enough sauce for 4 people. Taste and adjust to your taste and put in a small serving jug/bowl.
- Pour the Agedashi stock around the Tofu. Garnish with any combo of chopped spring onions, chives, micro greens, and shaved bonito flakes (katsuobushi). If you add the Katuobushi on top of the Tofu at the last second before serving they will dance around on the plate which makes it look super professional.
- Plate the salmon skin side up with the steamed rice, vegetables, some chopped fresh chilli, the Agedashi Tofu on the side and let people drizzle the sauce as they wish. Yummy!
Product used in recipe
- Obento - Mirin Seasoning
- Obento - Sushi & Sashimi Soy Sauce
- Yeo's - Pure Sesame Oil