- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 stalk lemongrass (minced), or 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons frozen or bottled prepared lemongrass
- 2 makrut lime leaves
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon grated galangal or ginger
- 1 to 2 red chilies (sliced), or 1 to 2 teaspoons Thai chili sauce
- Optional: 1 handful of fresh mushrooms (sliced thinly)
- 12 medium raw shrimp (shelled and deveined)
- Other seafood of your choice: fresh mussels, scallops, crab, or sliced fish fillet (up to 1 handful of each)
- 1 medium tomato (cut into thin strips)
- Optional: a handful of baby bok choy
- 1/2 can (14 ounces) thick coconut milk (not "lite")
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves (roughly chopped)
- Pour stock plus lemongrass and lime leaves in a deep soup pot over medium-high heat. If using fresh lemongrass, also add the upper stalk pieces for extra flavor. Bring to a boil.
- Add garlic, galangal or ginger, chili, and mushrooms (if using). Reduce heat to medium and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft.
- Add the shrimp, any other seafood you're using, tomato, and baby bok choy (if using). Simmer over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until shrimp turns pink and plump and mussels have opened. Scallops, crab, and fish should all be firm to the touch and no longer translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar. Stir well to combine and gently simmer until hot (do not boil at this point). Taste-test the soup for salt and spice, adding more fish sauce instead of salt (about 1 more tablespoon), or more chili as desired. If too sour, add more sugar. If too spicy for your taste or if you'd like it creamier, add more coconut milk. If too salty, add another squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve in bowls with fresh coriander sprinkled over. For an extra hit of flavor, you can also add some Thai chili sauce, Nam Prik Pao, either store-bought or homemade.
Product used in recipe
- TCC - Premium Coconut Milk