- 400g udon noodles
- 1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 star anise
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Prepare noodles according to pack directions and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat. Add the Sichuan peppercorns, chilli powder and star anise. Cook the spices for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the garlic, white part of the spring onion and the ginger. Stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Increase the heat to high and add in the chicken mince. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, peanut butter and vinegar. Simmer for 4-5 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Remove and discard the star anise. Stir through the cornflour mixture. Simmer for a further minute or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the cooked noodles and mix well to combine.
- Remove from heat and toss through the sesame oil. Divide among serving bowls and top with the green part of the spring onions.
Product used in recipe
- Yeo's - Pure Sesame Oil