- Ingredients for Siomay Filling: 300 g white fish fillets, roughly chopped (I use hoki); 200 g chicken breast fillet, roughly chopped; 100g prawn meat; 4 Asian shallots, peeled and halved; 3 cloves garlic, peeled; 2 spring onions, green and white parts roughly chopped; 1 egg; 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Vegetarian Stir-fry Sauce; 1tbsp Yeo's Sesame Oil; 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Salt-reduced Soy Sauce; 150g tapioca starch; 1 tsp white pepper; salt and sugar, to taste
- Ingredients to complete Siomay Bandung: 1 packet yellow wonton wrappers; 1 bitter melon, sliced into 3 cm rings, seeds removed with spoon; 1 packet Fried Tofu Puffs, boiled for 3 minutes to remove excess oil, each cut into 2 triangles; ½ finely grated carrot, to garnish.
- Ingredients to complete the platter (these are served at room temperature): 4 small potatoes, skin on, boiled whole, then halved; 8 green cabbage leaves, steamed and then rolled tightly; 4 hardboiled eggs, peeled; bowl ABC Original Chilli Sauce, drizzled with ABC Kecap Manis; fresh lime slices; bowl Spicy Peanut Sauce (see below).
- Ingredients for Spicy Peanut Sauce:1 cup unsalted roasted whole peanuts; 2 Asian shallots, peeled; 2 cloves garlic, peeled; 1 tsp grated dark palm sugar; sugar and salt, to taste; 1½ cups water; 2 whole kaffir lime leaves; 1tbsp ABC Kecap Manis; 1 tbsp ABC Original Chilli Sauce; juice l lime.
- Method for Siomay Filling: Blend fish, chicken, prawns until thick and paste-like. Add remaining ingredients and blend until well mixed.
- Method for Wonton Siomay: Stuff heaped teaspoons onto centre of wonton wrappers and pinch around edges to form little pouches, but leave uncovered at the top. Sprinkle with grated carrot.
- Method for Bitter Melon Siomay: Fill centres of bitter melon slices with filling.
- Method for Fried Tofu Puff Siomay: Make slits in each tofu puff triangle at cut edge to form a little pocket. Stuff with Siomay Filling.
- For all Siomay: Place in prepared steamer without touching each other, steam until filling is well cooked. (I used my Thermomix Varoma (both layers) Sp1 for 17 mins with 500 ml water in mixing bowl).
- Extra for Fried Tofu Puff Siomay: Preheat oven 180*C. Bake steamed Fried Tofu Puff Siomay for 20 mins until a little crispy. Tip: make these first and put in oven while the other Siomay are steaming, so they all come out hot at the same time!
- Method for Spicy Peanut Sauce: Blend peanuts, shallots, garlic, palm sugar, salt, sugar, water until combined and thick. Place in saucepan, add kaffir lime leaves and heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until mix starts to thicken. Add ABC Kecap Manis and ABC Original Chilli Sauce, bring to boil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Remove from heat and add lime juice. Mix well.
Brands and product used
- Lee Kum Kee - Soy Sauce Salt Reduced
- Yeo's - Pure Sesame Oil
- Lee Kum Kee - Vegetarian Stir Fry Sauce
- ABC - Chilli Sauce Original
- ABC - Sweet Soy Sauce