- 300g tempeh, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 Asian shallots, thinly sliced (substitute 1 red onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat the oil in a wok or sauté pan over a high heat, then add the tempeh and stir-fry until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the tempeh and set aside.
- If necessary, add a little extra oil to the wok. Add the shallots (or red onion), chillies, garlic and lemongrass and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the kecap manis, palm sugar, soy sauce, kaffir lime leaves and water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the fried tempeh and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is thick and sticky - add a little water to prevent it sticking if necessary.
Product used in recipe
- ABC - Sweet Soy Sauce