- 300 g plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 600 ml water
- 5 g dashi powder
- 300 g steamed octopus, chopped
- 200 g shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 90 g spring onion, finely sliced
- 20 g pickled ginger, thinly chopped
- Peanut oil, to grease pan
- Wasabi mayonnaise, to serve
- Okonomi sauce, to serve
- Dried bonito shavings, to serve
- Ponzu sauce, to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, dashi powder, eggs and water until well combined.
- Add the octopus, mushrooms, pickled ginger and spring onion to batter and mix well.
- Oil your preheated pan. Note: you can use a frying pan for flat bites. Here a mini pie maker was used.
- Pour large spoonfuls of batter onto your pan (or into the pie maker molds) and cook on high heat for around 10 minutes, or until the outside is golden and the bites are cooked through. If making flat bites, flip the bites at around 5 minutes.
- To serve, top bites with a drizzle of wasabi mayonnaise, okonomi sauce, and a sprinkle of bonito shavings. Ponzu dipping sauce is optional.
Product used in recipe
- Kewpie - Kewpie Mayonnaise Wasabi Flavour
- Obento - Ponzu Sauce