- 150 g fillet salmon de-boned and skin removed (per person)
- Smoking – 1 tbs black tea
- Smoking – 1 tbs plain raw rice grains
- Smoking – 1 whole star anise (broken up)
- Smoking – 5-6 schezuan pepper corns
- Bunch of fresh asparagus (approx 3-4 stalks per person)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Obento teriyaki marinade
- Garnish – some sliced spring onion
- Garnish – black & white sesame seeds
- Set enough water to boil in a medium saucepan (for asparagus).
- By making a tinfoil envelope, add all smoking ingredients and fold securely, Poke 4 or 5 holes in the upper side of envelope and press down firmly in a wok.
- Place lid on the wok and add to high heat.
- In a bamboo steamer, line with a small amount of baking paper and place in salmon filets.
- Once the wok has starting to release smoke (approx. 2 mins), remove lid and place steamer in the wok. Cover with lid and weight down if necessary to keep in as much smoke as possible. Smoke for approx. 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, add asparagus to some rapidly boiling water for about 2 mins. Remove, drain and toss in a bowl with sesame oil.
- Once salmon is ready, remove and brush lightly with teriyaki marinade.
- To serve - place asparagus down either directly on a serving plate (or even some rice), top with salmon, garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.
Brands and product used
- Obento - Teriyaki Marinade
- Yeo's - Pure Sesame Oil