- 800g boneless & skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 250ml Obento teriyaki marinade, divided.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup baby peas (frozen)
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned & drained or frozen)
- 400g canned pineapple pieces, drained
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 6 cups cooked white rice, cooled (best to cook the night before and refrigerate overnight)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- 1 tbsp spring onion, green part, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Place the sliced chicken thigh pieces in a large mixing bowl and pour ½ cup teriyaki marinade over it. Stir to coat all the chicken pieces in marinade, then cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 mins (longer / overnight is fine).
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large fry-pan over high heat.
- Add the diced onion and carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the baby peas, corn kernels and pineapple pieces. Cook until everything is heated through and any excess moisture has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove the vegetables and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp sesame oil to the wok/fry-pan and heat until shimmering. Add the minced garlic and ginger, stir until fragrant, then add the cold cooked rice. Break up any large pieces of rice with a wooden spoon or spatula and toss/stir until the rice is evenly coated.
- Push the rice to one side, then add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble until the eggs begin to set.
- Return the vegetables to the wok/fry-pan, add the soy sauce and gently stir everything together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired, then remove from heat.
- Grease a bundt pan with cooking spray, then fill it with the fried rice, packing it down tightly as you go. Cover with cling wrap and set aside to cool slightly while you cook the chicken.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp sesame oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the marinated chicken thigh (in batches if needed) and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned.
- Add the remaining ½ cup teriyaki marinade to the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced and thickened to your preferred consistency. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, invert the bundt pan onto a large serving plate/board. Fill the middle with teriyaki chicken and pour some extra sauce over the top and sides to achieve the volcano effect. [Note: if you don’t have a bundt tin, you can use a large bowl for the fried rice instead and add the teriyaki chicken on top or serve it on the side.]
- Garnish with a sprinkle of white sesame seeds and chopped spring onion, then serve!
Product used in recipe
- Obento - Teriyaki Marinade