- Whiting fillets (or any white fish) 5 pieces approx 400g
- Valcom red curry paste 1/2 jar
- Lemongrass finely chopped 1tablespoon
- Garlic 4 cloves finely chopped
- Onion 1/2 finely chopped
- Tumeric ground 1/4 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil
- Coconut milk 400ml
- Squid brand Fish sauce 2 tablespoon
- Brown sugar 2 tablespoon
- Tamarind soup base powder 2 teaspoon
- Lemon 1/2 juice
- Vermicelli noodles 250g
- Garlic salt
- Baby cos lettuce 1
- Red capsicum 1/4
- Carrot 1/2
- Spring onion 4 stalks
- Red onion half
- Lebanese cucumber 1 sliced
- Pansies for garnish
- To make the fish curry: Place fish fillets in a pot of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander. Whilst the fish is cooking sauté the finely chopped garlic and onion in a tablespoon of oil then add 1/2 jar of Valcom red curry paste. Add finely chopped lemongrass and turmeric. Stir in pan for a couple of minutes then place in a large mortar and pestle. Add cooked fish (do this in batches if necessary) and grind in the mortar and pestle for a few minutes until fish is fragmented and almost fluffy in texture and the curry paste is thoroughly mixed through the minced fish. Put all minced curry fish in a saucepan and add coconut milk and heat through on medium heat. When hot add brown sugar, fish sauce, lemon juice and tamarind soup mix powder. Stir through and let cook on low heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While cooking the curry you can also cook the vermicelli noodles until just tender as per the instructions on the packet. Once tender, pour into a colander and rinse under tap water to stop them continuing to cook.
- Rinse whole cos lettuce leaves. Cut carrot and red capsicum julienne. Slice red onion thinly and chop spring onion. Slice cucumber.
- To cook the deep fried noodle: heat about an inch of cooking oil in a saucepan on medium to high heat. Break and tease apart uncooked vermicelli into pieces up to a few cm long. To test the oil put in a single noodle and if it rapidly expands when it fries then the oil is hot enough. When hot enough add small handfuls of noodles at a time and be ready to scoop fried noodles out when the expand almost immediately before they start to burn. Repeat until you have enough to garnish your curry. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt.
- Arrange baby cos lettuce leaves and slices of cucumber around the bowl. Place cooked noodles on the lettuce and top with the warm fish curry. Sprinkle julienne carrot and capsicum, coriander leaves and sliced red onion and spring onion over the top. Top with fried noodles for some crunch and sliced red chili if desired. Garnish with edible pansies for some more colour if available.Enjoy x
Brands and product used
- Valcom - Curry Paste Red