- For the ‘Fish’2 packs of extra firm tofuObento Nori sheets1 lemon or 3 tbsp lemon juice2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar2 tbsp of juice from jar of capers or dill pickles1 cup waterOlive Oil for frying
- For the Batter1 cup of plain flour½ tsp salt1 tsp black pepper1 1/2 cups soy or plant-based milk (this can be swapped for beer or ale)
- For the coconut rice2 cups of jasmine rice2 cups (1 400 ml can) of coconut milk2 cups water2 tbsp shredded coconut
- For the Thai sauce½ cup of vinegar4 tbsp rice malt syrup4 cloves of garlic minced½-1 fresh red chilli2 tbsp soy sauce1 tbsp vegan fish sauce1 tbsp minced lemon grass
- Toasted Sesame seeds and spring onions chopped to garnish.
- - Add all ingredients for the coconut rice to your rice cooker and set to cook!If cooking in a pan, then gently bring to the boil and simmer until all moisture is absorbed into the rice.
- - In a bowl bring together the lemon juice/squeezed lemon, apple cider vinegar, caper juice and water. Cut tofu down the centre length ways and then into strips creating 6 equal rectangular pieces per block. Place into marinade and put aside.
- - Place all of the ingredients for the Thai sauce into a saucepan and gently heat on the stove, simmer gently for about 10 minutes, remove from heat and put aside until you are ready to serve. This sauce can be made and kept in the fridge in advance if desired.
- - In a separate bowl place flour salt and pepper and with a whisk gradually add the soymilk creating a thick batter, I like to crumble an Obento nori sheet into this batter but it’s not compulsory!
- - Cut your nori sheets with scissors into strips the same size as your tofu pieces. Remove tofu from the marinade and lay one strip of nori on to each piece of tofu.
- - In a heated pan place your olive oil for frying, take each piece of tofu and cover in batter you will need to keep a finger or two on the nori sheet to keep in place and then fry gently in the oil.
- -Serve fresh coconut rice, with 2-3 pieces of ‘fish’, drizzle with Thai sauce and top with chopped spring onion and toasted sesame seeds.
Brands and product used
- Obento - Yaki Nori for Sushi