- BEEF 600-700g Quality beef sirloin or rump steaks (about 3cm thick)
- VIETNAMESE DRESSING3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm piece ginger finely grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 20g soy sauce
- 20 grams olive oil
- SALAD 2 carrots, coarsely grated or cut into thin strips
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber, deseeded and grated or thinly sliced
- 1/4 cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 red capsicum thinly sliced
- 100g Fresh bean sprouts
- 100g rice noodles
- 1 handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 Vietnamese mint leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Heat a char grill or fry pan until very hot.
- BEEF Rub beef with a little oil. Place on the grill and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare beef. Remove from the grill to a plate, season and cover loosely with foil.
- DRESSING Place all ingredients in a screw-top jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well.
- Put the rice noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes (or according to the instructions on the packet), until soft. Drain well and rinse under cold water.
- SALAD Place the carrots, cucumber, cabbage, capsicum, bean sprouts and ginger in a bowl. Drizzle over the dressing and toss to combine.
- TO SERVE Slice the beef thinly across the grain and add to the vegetables with the noodles and herbs. Gently toss to combine all ingredients and serve immediately with extra chopped herbs and crushed peanuts if desired.
Brands and product used
- Squid Brand - Fish Sauce