- 1kg Pork belly
- 1/2 cup Fish sauce
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (for caramel sauce) and 2 Tbsp raw sugar (for marinate)
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp pepper
- 1/2 Spring onion
- 3 Glove garlic chopped
- 2 Star anise
- 1 1/2 cups of water OR coconut water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Five spice powder
- 2 Tsp shallot, garlic and ginger paste (or use fresh)
- 2 Tsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Chilli chopped
- Cut pork belly into squares, cubed 3cm.
- Marinate pork belly in a bowl with fish sauce, chopped garlic, 2 Tbsp raw sugar, salt and pepper for 15 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil to a pan on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup sugar. Mix until little bubbles form and colour turns into a deep caramel brown. Turn heat off. Be careful not to overcook.
- Add sriracha and soy sauce. (This will sizzle)
- Add shallots, ginger and garlic paste and star anise. Add chilli.
- Quickly coat the meat. Bring heat to high and brown the pork.
- Add water. Cook with lid on for 1.5 hours on simmer Med-Low heat until sauce reduced.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and fresh chilli. Serve with jasmine rice and Asian vegetables or pickled carrot/radish.
Brands and product used
- Squid Brand - Fish Sauce