- 1 bamboo sushi rolling mat - available from most supermarkets (for ease, look for the Obento Japanese Sushi Kit).
- Sushi rice uncooked (1 cup makes approx. 12 pieces of sushi)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Obento Sushi Seasoning, if you can't get the seasoning add a little salt and sugar to the vinegar
- Obento Yaki Nori for Sushi sheets
- Soy sauce for dipping
- Sushi fillings of your choice ie pictured: wasabi, salmon, avocado, cucumber, carrot, fresh herbs
- Rice: wash and cook the sushi rice according to instructions (follow the instructions on the pack). You'll need a saucepan with a fitted lid.
- Allow the rice to cool a little then add the vinegar and seasoning and gently mix through (don't mash the rice).
- While the rice is cooking and cooling, cut your fillings into strips and place one nori sheet on your rolling mat.
- Filling: spread the cooked rice onto the nori sheet - leave 2cm clear along one edge. Place your fillings in a single strip on top of the rice all the way across. Slightly dampen the clear nori edge with a little water (to help it seal) then begin to roll the sushi from the other side using the rolling mat to keep the roll firm and the filling in the centre. Keep the seal on the bottom of the roll and place the roll on a cutting board. Continue making rolls.
- Slice the roll into 2.5cm pieces and serve with a garnish and dipping sauce.
Brands and product used
- Obento - Yaki Nori for Sushi