- 300 grams Squid Sliced into rings
- 1 cup Japanese Rice
- 1tbsp mixed peppercorns
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 pieces Star Anise
- 6 pcs Dried Sichuan Peppers
- Few Slices of Fresh Chillies
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Pinches of Salt
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- Spring onion leaves sliced
- 1/4 cup Black Sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar (rice)
- 1/2 cup water
- Vegetable Oil
- 3 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 6 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Mirin Sauce
- Prepare a bowl and put sliced squid with Sweet soy sauce, mirin sauce, rice wine vinegar, ground pepper and salt. Mix all together and set aside for marination.
- Prepare another bowl and put 1 cup rice, soak it with rice wine vinegar and water, then set aside.
- Set aside both bowls for one hour.
- After 1 hour, prepare a small casserole and put it in medium heat. Add oil and saute grated gineger and turmeric. Drain rice (save the water) and add to the casserole and saute until it is covered into yellow because of Turmeric. Season with a pinch of salt and a tbsp of honey.
- Add the water from soaking and let it cook for ten minutes or until ready.
- When the rice is ready, let it cool then form some rice balls. Create a perfect circle balls and then roll it in black sesame seeds. After the balls are read put it around the plating bowl.
- Meanwhile, get a wok or pan. Put in medium to high heat, add some drizzles of vegetable oil.
- Saute garlic and fresh chillies for a minute.
- Squeeze the squid and save the liquid from marination. Add the squid in the pan and saute quickly. Add the peppercorns and dried Sichuan Chillies and quickly stir fry as the squid cooks quickly.
- After cooking the squid, put it in the center of the bowl and go back to the pan. Add the liquid from squid marination and drizzle a bit water and then add the star anise.
- Let it reduce and extract the flavour from star anise. When it thickens, it’s ready. Drizzle some of the sauce on top of the squid and sprinkle with spring onions and it’s ready to serve.
- TIP: You can make heaps of the rice balls and freeze it. You can microwave defrost and heat for another minute.
- INSPO: This dish is inspired by the recent Shanghai’s TV series character - DAO MING SI. A very feisty, strong, persistent and hot tempered man yet a very genuine, caring, giving, kind-hearted, helpful and loving human being. Just like this dish, it has its spicy kick but the rice falvoured with ginger and coconut milk sweetness balances everything. The addition of heaps of garlic, pepper and vinegar is somehow a hint of Filo flavour of Adobo.
Brands and product used
- Obento - Rice Wine Vinegar
- Obento - Mirin Seasoning
- ABC - Sweet Soy Sauce
- TCC - Coconut Milk