By Ilona Nicola
The perfect take on a thoroughly Thai cuisine. The in the cones and the green curry edge of the ice cream makes for a dish that is the perfect starter to a Thai meal that will surprise and delight guests.
Green Curry Ice Cream
- 2Tb Valcom green curry paste
- 1 Tb vegetable oil
- 2 Cups Tcc coconut cream
- 4Tb palm sugar
- 1Tsp Squid fish sauce
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 Cup Tcc coconut milk
- 1 1/2 Cup rice flour
- 1/2 Cup plain flour
- 2 Tb Lime stone water
- pinch salt
- In a wok bring oil to smoking, place curry paste in wok and keep moving until it is fragrant. Pour in coconut cream add palm sugar and fish sauce. Heat on a medium heat until green oil is seen around the bubbles. Ensure the palm sugar has dissolved. Taste to ensure the balance is to your taste add palm sugar (ensure this dissolves prior to progressing) or fish sauce if required. Place to one side.
- In a bowl; place egg yolks and beat until completely combined.
- While vigorously whisking green curry mix pour eggs into the green curry mix.
- Place the wok on a gentle heat and heat the mix slowly while siring continuously. Continue to stir until the mix coats the back of a spoon. Place to one side or in the fridge to allow to cool to approximately room temperature.
- Put mix in an ice cream maker and complete based on maker’s instructions
- In a bowl add the plain, and rice flour stir to combine
- Add the coconut milk and lime stone water and stir the mix. If the mix is not the consistency of a batter add more lime stone water.
- On a hot large flat nonstick frying pan pour 1 ladle (or less for smaller cones) of mix on and spread with the back of a spoon.
- Once the mix has a brown colour roll the disk on a cone rollers (or any tapered kitchen implement, I used a long piping nozzle and less mix), put to one side to cool.
TCC COCONUT CREAM 400ML
TCC COCONUT MILK 400ML
SQUID BRAND FISH SAUCE 300ML
VALCOM CURRY PASTE GREEN 210G