- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons gochujang paste
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 7 large eggs
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons of kewpie mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup kimchi
- 1/3 cup vintage cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of spicy sauce (step 1)
- 8 bao buns
- 16 small pieces of iceberg lettuce to fit bao buns
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- extra oil for greasing baking dish
- To make the spicy sauce: In a small saucepan on a low heat warm the garlic. Add the paste, sauce, sugar, honey and vinegar. Warm through whilst stirring until everything is combined well together. Take off heat and stir through the sesame oil. Set aside.
- To cook the eggs: You will need a baking dish 20 cm's that fits inside a frying pan which has a lid for it. Spray or grease some oil in the bottom of baking dish. Crack eggs next to each other in one layer into baking dish. Place into the frying pan and in the frying pan add some water up the outside of baking dish. Approximately 1 cm deep. Chop up the white part of your spring onions and sprinkle on top of eggs. Place the lid on the frying pan. Cook the eggs on a medium to high heat for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and leave lid on and let it sit for a further 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile via packet instructions prepare and steam cook your bao buns in steamer with lid over boiling water. I like to place some baking paper with holes in it on the base of steamer. It stops the bao buns from sticking.
- In a large bowl add your kewpie mayonnaise, chopped kimchi, grated vintage cheddar and 1 tablespoon of the spicy sauce. Place the cooked eggs on the chopping board and roughly chop it into bits, approximately 1 cm bits. Let cool slightly before putting in bowl. Fold the eggs through the mayonnaise mixture in large bowl.
- To assemble the bao buns. Finely slice the green part of your spring onions. Cut or rip your lettuce to fit the bao buns. Place 2 pieces of lettuce one on each side of opened bao buns. Place a generous amount of egg into bao buns. Top with sliced spring onion, spicy sauce, sesame seeds. Repeat until all made.
Product used in recipe
- Kewpie - Mayonnaise 50% Reduced Fat