- 500g large raw prawns
- 75g plain flour
- 75g cornflour
- 150ml cold soda water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 250g somen noodles
- 1 cup edamame beans
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup daikon, julienned
- 1 tbsp shredded nori
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- ½ tsp Shichimi Togorashi (Japanese red pepper mix)
- 3 tbsp Obento Mirin
- 3 tbsp LKK premium soy
- 2 tbsp Obento rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Yeo’s sesame oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- In a small bowl, combine: mirin, soy, vinegar, sesame oil and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Cook Somen noodles in a pot of boiling water for two minutes, then refresh under cold water to stop the cooking process and cool the noodles.
- Heat 5cm of vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 180 degrees.
- Combine cornflour and plain flour in a bowl, then lightly whisk together with soda water until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pat dry the prawns gently with a paper towel before coating them in the tempura batter. Lower the prawns one at a time into oil and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the noodles, edamame beans, cucumber and daikon to a large bowl, then pour in half of the dressing mix gently until all ingredients are coated.
- Divide the noodles between 2 bowls and dress with tempura prawns, additional dressing if required, shredded nori, toasted sesame seeds and a little shichimi togorashi to finish.
- Serve immediately to enjoy light and crispy tempura prawns!
Brands and product used
- Obento - Mirin Seasoning