By Glenda McDonnell
- 1 Cup Sushi Rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tbs Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 punnet Mixed Mushrooms (Shitake, Shimeji & Enoki)
- 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Water
- Salt & Pepper
PICKLED CARROT & RADISH:
- 1 small Carrot (finely juliened)
- 2 large Radish (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Obento Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
SESAME & WASABI MAYONNAISE:
- 1 1/2 Tbs Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbs Kewpie Sesame Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Wasabi Paste
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 Lettuce Leaves
- 6 slices Cucumber
- A few Garlic Chives
- 1/2 tsp Black Sesame Seeds
LOTUS CHIPS & NORI SALT:
- 1 small Lotus Root (thinly sliced)
- 1 sheet Sushi Nori Wrap
- 1 TBS Pink Himalayan Salt
- Peanut Oil/Vegetable Oil to fry.
- Place sushi seasoning ingredients in a small pan and simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, set aside to cool.
- Rinse rice until the water runs clear, place in a saucepan with the water, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place rice in a glass bowl, add sushi seasoning and stir with a rice paddle, fanning until the rice is cool.
- Using a cookie mould or egg ring, placed on a tray lined with baking paper, press the rice to form 4 burger shapes, sprinkle black sesame seeds, on two of the shapes. Chill until needed.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, salt & water to make the fritter batter, chill until needed.
- Place the pickling ingredients in a small pan, simmer stirring until the sugar dissolves, cool.
- Finely julienne the carrot and thinly slice the radish, add to the pickling mixture. Drain before serving.
- Trim the Enoki mushrooms, to separate, chop the Shitake mushroom finely. Place 1 Tbs of flour (extra) in a freezer bag, toss the Enoki mushrooms to coat, fold the Shitake mushrooms and coated Enoki mushrooms into the prepared batter,
- Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan and spoon batter in, to form 2 patties, fry until golden and cooked through.
- Mix the mayonnaise, sesame mayonnaise & wasabi paste together, pour into a serving bowl.
- Slice the lotus root thinly, place in a bowl of water while heating the oil, drain pat dry and fry until crisp & golden.
- Process the nori sheet until it forms small crumbs, add the ground salt and stir to combine.
- Place a Sushi circle on the serving plate, top with lettuce, avocado, pickled carrot, garlic chives & cucumber, place a mushroom fritter on top, add the pickled radish and a few Shimeki mushrooms, drizzle with a little sesame & wasabi mayonnaise, place the remaining sushi circle on the top, to form the burger.
- Sprinkle the lotus chips with nori salt, serve with the remaining sesame & wasabi mayonnaise to dip.
KEWPIE MAYONNAISE 300G